3051 Oak Grove Drive, Suite 107, Downers Grove, IL 60515
2272 95th Street, Suite 200A, Naperville, IL 60564

Call today for a FREE consultation


DuPage County Family-Based Visa Attorney

DuPage County immigration lawyer for family visas

Lawyers for Immigration Visas in Downers Grove and Naperville

The United States is a nation of immigrants, and it has always offered people from other countries the opportunity to legally enter the U.S. in order to live and work here. Immigrants who want to enter the country have a number of different options, and one of the most common ways of doing so is to be sponsored for a visa by a family member. However, understanding the types of visas that are available and the eligibility requirements for family-based visas can often be a complex matter. To ensure that you follow the proper steps during the immigration process, it is essential to work with an experienced attorney.

At SBK Law Group, we understand the challenges faced by immigrants and their families, and we are dedicated to helping you apply for and obtain the visas you need. We have more than 25 years of combined legal experience, and we can help you meet your requirements for entering the United States, establishing residency, and obtaining a Green Card.

Types of Family Visas

A person who legally resides in the United States can sponsor family members for immigration and help them obtain the visas they need to enter the country. The types of visas available will depend on whether the sponsor is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident and their relationship with the person they are sponsoring. Typically, family-based visas fall into one of the following categories:

  • Immediate Relative (IR) visas - These visas are available for close relatives of U.S. citizens, including their spouses, children, and parents. Children must be unmarried and under the age of 21, and parents can only receive these types of visas if the sponsor is over the age of 21. There is no limit on the number of IR visas available, and there is no visa waiting period when applying.
  • Family Preference (F) visas - These visas are available for relatives of Green Card holders, including their spouses and children, as well as some relatives of U.S. citizens, including brothers and sisters or children over the age of 21. There is a limit on the number of Family Preference visas issued each year, and the wait time for these visas can often be several years.
  • Fiancé(e) (K) visas - A U.S. citizen who wishes to marry a person who lives in another country may receive a K-1 visa. This visa will allow the fiancé(e) to enter the United States, and the couple must get married within 90 days, after which the new spouse can apply for a Green Card.

Visa Eligibility

A U.S. citizen or Green Card holder can begin the process of applying for a visa for a family member by filing a Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A sponsor will need to meet certain requirements, including maintaining a principal residence in the United States, paying application fees, and demonstrating that they will be able to support their family member(s) financially.

Immigrants will also need to meet the requirements for admissibility into the United States. There are a variety of issues that may make a person inadmissible, including health issues, previous deportations or violations of U.S. immigration law, certain types of criminal convictions, or committing fraud or misrepresentation during the immigration process. However, a visa applicant may be able to receive a waiver of inadmissibility. These waivers may be available if an applicant can show that denial of a visa would result in extreme hardship for a family.

Contact a Downers Grove Immigration Attorney

If you want to bring your family members to the United States, SBK Law Group can help you understand your options, and we will provide legal help and representation throughout the visa application process and beyond. With our help, you can ensure that your family will be able to build a life together in the U.S. Contact us at 630-427-4407 to get started. We assist with immigration cases in Chicago and DuPage, Will, Kane, Kendall, and Cook Counties.

isba cba dcba chamber 630 aila aba naela
Back to Top