3051 Oak Grove Drive, Suite 107, Downers Grove, IL 60515
2272 95th Street, Suite 200A, Naperville, IL 60564

Call today for a FREE consultation


Downers Grove Green Card Assistance Lawyer

Naperville green card application lawyer adjustment of status

DuPage County Attorneys Helping Immigrants Establish Permanent Residency in the U.S.

If you have family members who live outside the United States, you may wish to bring them into the country so your family can be together. By helping your loved ones enter the U.S. legally, you can ensure that they will be able to pursue opportunities for education and employment. However, there are a variety of complex requirements that must be met during the immigration process. In addition to applying for the necessary visas, you will want to ensure that your family members can become lawful permanent residents and obtain Green Cards.

To avoid delays, errors, or other issues that can affect your loved ones' ability to immigrate to the United States, it is essential to work with an experienced immigration attorney. At SBK Law Group, our lawyers have over 25 years of combined experience, and we can provide the legal help you need throughout the immigration process. 

Applying for a Green Card

A person who who was inspected at the border and granted entry to the U.S. (an immigrant will usually have an I-94 if they were inspected at the border), received an immigrant visa, and is living in the U.S. may apply for "adjustment of status" and register as a lawful permanent resident of the United States. If this application is approved, the immigrant will receive a Green Card. While the adjustment of status application is pending, the immigrant can be eligible for a work permit, which will allow for them to receive a Social Security number and driver's license. This is done by filing an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485). In some cases, Form I-485 may be filed at the same time as the visa petition (Form I-130).

Immigrants who have not yet entered the United States may be able to use a process known as "consular processing" in which they apply for a Green Card through the U.S. consulate in their home country. Immigrants who have received an Immediate Relative or Family Preference immigrant visa outside the United States may enter as Legal Permanent Residents and will receive a Green Card automatically within a few months of their first entry as an LPR.

Fiancé(e) Visas

When a U.S. citizen plans to get married to an immigrant, they may obtain a K-1 visa for their fiancé(e). This is a special type of visa that allows the fiancé(e) to enter the United States, and the couple must get married within 90 days after the immigrant's entry into the U.S. The spouse may then apply for a Green Card. The immigrant cannot change their status or adjust status to a legal permanent resident for any other reason if the marriage does not go through or if the marriage breaks down before the Green Card is issued.

Conditional Permanent Residence

Many people obtain Green Gards or legal permanent residence through marriage to a U.S. Citizen or LPR. However, in these cases, a person will be considered a "conditional permanent resident," and their Green Card will expire after two years if the marriage was less than two years old at the time of issuance of the Green Card. Within 90 days before the Green Card's expiration, the spouses must apply to remove the conditions on permanent residence by filing Form I-751. Failure to do so could result in revocation of the Green Card and deportation. All fiancé(e)s with visas that adjust to status will be considered conditional permanent residents and will have to follow the requirement to have conditions removed. If your marriage does not work out, and there is a divorce, there are special waivers that can be applied for under form I-751 (Petition to Remove Conditions). Please call us, and we can walk you through the process and timing if a divorce is either imminent or has already happened when you are required to file the I-751.

Inadmissibility and Bars to Adjustment

A Green Card will only be issued if an immigrant is admissible to the United States and is eligible for adjustment of status. Certain issues could result in inadmissibility or bars to adjustment, including entering the U.S. without being inspected by an immigration officer, being employed in the U.S. without authorization, or failing to maintain lawful immigration status. However, these issues do not necessarily make obtaining a Green Card impossible. In some cases, an immigrant may be able to apply for a waiver of inadmissibility or an exemption to bars to adjustment.

Contact a DuPage County Green Card Attorney

The process of applying for a Green Card can be very complicated, and any errors made can result in significant delays or a denial of permanent resident status. At SBK Law Group, we can help you complete the Green Card application process as quickly and efficiently as possible, and we will help you identify and address any issues that could affect your application. To learn more about how we can help you resolve your immigration concerns, contact us today at 630-427-4407. We provide legal help to immigrants in DuPage County, Kane County, Kendall County, Cook County, and Will County.

isba cba dcba chamber 630 aila aba naela
Back to Top