3051 Oak Grove Drive, Suite 107, Downers Grove, IL 60515
2272 95th Street, Suite 200A, Naperville, IL 60564

Call today for a FREE consultation


DuPage County Lawyer for Refugees Seeking Asylum

Downers Grove immigration lawyer for asylum

Immigration Attorney for Immigrants In Need of Asylum in Illinois

The United States is a country that provides its citizens and residents with many rights and freedoms. People from other countries may wish to immigrate to the U.S., especially if their home country does not provide them with the protections they need. Unfortunately, people around the world are often displaced from their homes or need to escape the threat of violence or persecution. In these cases, they may be able to seek asylum or immigrate to the U.S. as refugees. When doing so, a skilled immigration lawyer can ensure that the proper procedures are followed, increasing the likelihood that a person will be able to remain in the United States.

At SBK Law Group, our attorneys have more than 25 years of combined legal experience, and we are dedicated to helping people resolve their immigration issues. We can help you understand your rights when claiming asylum, and we can assist refugees in obtaining authorization to live and work in the United States.

Eligibility for Asylum in the U.S.

A foreign national who has entered the United States may apply for asylum within one year of their arrival or within six months of their status ending by filing an Application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal (Form I-589). Asylum will only be granted if an immigrant can provide proof that they have suffered persecution or have reason to fear that they will be persecuted due to their race, nationality, religion, political opinions, or membership in a certain social group. If an immigrant does not meet the eligibility requirements for asylum, they may be able to apply for withholding of removal, which will prevent deportation to their home country if this would place their life or freedom at risk.

Asylum can also be applied for once placed in removal or deportation proceedings as a defense to removal or deportation. Even though the eligibility requirement of applying within one year still applies, immigrants can apply after the one-year deadline if it is based on extraordinary circumstances. These may include receiving new information that was not available within the one year window, changed country conditions such as countries that have experienced recent turmoil or civil wars, recent attacks on family members, or if the delay in applying was based on physical or mental conditions such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

An application for asylum may also include a person's spouse and their unmarried children who are under the age of 21. A person who has been granted asylum may also apply to bring their spouse and children to the U.S. by filing a Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition (Form I-730). 

Once asylum has been granted, a person will be allowed to live and work in the United States. Asylees may apply for a Green Card one year after being granted asylum.

Immigrating to the U.S. as a Refugee

Refugees are similar to asylees, in that they are seeking protection against persecution in their home country. However, to be recognized as a refugee, a person must be outside the United States, and they must receive a referral from the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP). A person who is eligible for refugee resettlement may apply for refugee status, and the application may also include their spouse and unmarried minor children.

Upon approval, refugees may be eligible to receive assistance in traveling to the U.S., as well as medical benefits, financial aid, and support services to help transition to living in the United States. Refugees will be eligible to obtain employment as soon as they enter the U.S., and they may apply for a Green Card one year after their arrival.

Contact a Downers Grove Asylum and Refugee Attorney

Being forced to flee your home country out of fear for your family's safety is a traumatic experience, and attempting to navigate the complex immigration process in the United States can make things even more difficult. To ensure that your family will be protected from harm, you will want to work with an experienced immigration lawyer who can help you apply for asylum or receive approval to immigrate to the U.S. as a refugee. To learn more about how SBK Law Group can assist in your immigration case, contact our office at 630-427-4407. We represent clients throughout DuPage, Kendall, Will, Cook, and Kane Counties.

isba cba dcba chamber 630 aila aba naela
Back to Top