Divorce Mediators In Downers Grove, Naperville And Lisle
The divorce process can be lengthy and complex, and it can involve a wide variety of issues related to your finances, property and children. You may want to complete your divorce as amicably as possible, but doing so can be difficult, especially if your relationship with your spouse has broken down to the point where the two of you are unlikely to be able to have calm, civil discussions about the issues you need to resolve. In these cases, you may want to consider mediation, a form of alternative dispute resolution that can help you reach a divorce settlement without the need for litigation. At SBK Law Group, our attorneys understand the complicated legal and emotional issues that can affect divorce cases. We provide mediation services to divorcing spouses, and we can help you understand the best ways to resolve your disputes and reach a settlement that you and your spouse can both agree on.
Benefits Of Divorce Mediation
During the mediation process, you and your spouse will work together with a neutral, third-party mediator to identify the outstanding issues and reach mutually acceptable agreements on how to resolve these matters. The mediator will not represent either party, and they will not make any decisions for you. Instead, they will help you understand your legal requirements, facilitate discussions in which you both can express your needs and desires, and guide you toward reaching compromises and creating a settlement that will allow you to finalize your divorce. Mediation offers a number of benefits, including:
- Privacy – All of the discussions between you, your spouse, and the mediator will be completely confidential. Anything said or discussed during mediation will not be admissible as evidence in court. This ensures that you can resolve your disputes in private rather than in the public forum of a courtroom.
- Control – You and your spouse have complete control over the decisions made during mediation. These decisions will not become legally binding unless you have both signed off on them and they have been approved by the court. This can result in a much more ideal resolution for both of you. For example, you and your spouse can decide together about how you will divide your marital property rather than having a judge arbitrarily assign assets or debts to each of you based on what seems fair.
- Building a co-parenting relationship – If you and your spouse have children together, you will need to maintain a continuing relationship with each other and work together to meet your children’s needs. By agreeing to cooperate when making decisions about the allocation of parental responsibility and parenting time, you can establish a good foundation for how you will co-parent your children together in the years to come.
- Efficiency – Mediation can often allow you to reach a settlement much more quickly and cost-effectively. Instead of paying for two separate attorneys to represent you in multiple court hearings, you can divide the cost of a mediator and work together to craft a divorce settlement that meets your needs going forward.
Good candidates for mediation:
- No history of abuse in the relationship
- Mutual desire to resolve matters out of court
- Mutual desire to minimize further damage to the co-parenting relationship
- Realistic settlement goals
- Ability to set aside differences
Contact A Downers Grove Divorce Mediation Lawyer
If you and your spouse are ready to sit down together and work out the details of your divorce, SBK Law Group can provide the help you need throughout the mediation process. With our legal experience and understanding of the divorce laws in Illinois, we can ensure that you meet all of your legal requirements, and we will help you address and overcome any obstacles you may encounter. Contact us today at 630-427-4407 to get started with the mediation process. We serve clients throughout DuPage, Kane, Will, Cook and Kendall counties.