When Estate Administration Is Complicated By Disputes
Examples of triggers for estate-related litigation include:
- A will contest
- A beneficiary’s allegations of breach of fiduciary duty by a trustee
- Challenges from creditors or business partners.
An executor, a trustee or anyone with a potential claim should get prompt legal advice once an estate is ready to go through the time-sensitive probate process.
SBK Law Group is a trusted source of reliable legal counsel for Chicago area residents on any side of an estate-related dispute. Attorney Sean P. Sullivan’s early legal career included extensive training in high-stakes litigation. Estate planning is a significant portion of attorney Michelle Bugajsky’s practice. With more than 25 years of combined experience, we are well prepared to represent you in any estate-related dispute or litigation.
Ways That Legal Challenges Disrupt Estate Settlement
Disputes come up at various stages along the way to the closing of an estate after someone passes away and during probate.
- Family members may challenge a will as invalid or a result of someone’s undue influence.
- Disagreements over assets between second spouses and children from previous relationships may trigger legal action by either side.
- The personal representative of an estate may be accused of misusing funds.
- A personal representative may not provide appropriate accounting on an estate to the beneficiaries.
- A trustee or someone administering funds of the deceased person may be accused of a breach of fiduciary duty.
The settlement of complex estates may involve the distribution of a wide variety of assets, including trusts, real estate properties, investments and business interests. It is not uncommon for disputes to arise over how these estates are handled. Whether you are a family member with objections over the estate settlement process, a business partner, a creditor or a personal representative accused of not doing your job correctly, it’s important to seek representation by a skilled trial lawyer who will advocate for your rights.
Estate Litigation Is Not Only About Money
The distribution of assets of a deceased person can bring out strong emotions among grieving family members. It is common for loved ones to become passionate about ensuring that the decedent’s wishes are honored. Our estate planning and probate experience makes us suitable lawyers to represent clients effectively in challenging probate and estate litigation.